The Australian Water Resources Assessment system
Australia needs up to date and comprehensive information of its precious water resources. A key component of this technology is the Australian Water Resources Assessment system (AWRA). Its purpose is to reconstruct, monitor, and ultimately forecast the continental water balance.
Access gridded daily AWRA outputs in one of several ways through our THREDDS server.
- AWRA will combine hydrological models of the landscape, groundwater systems, rivers, wetlands and irrigation areas
- The system integrates measurements made on the ground and from satellites using model-data fusion methods
- The Bureau of Meteorology uses AWRA in the production of the National Water Account and regular water resource assessments
- The AWRA system is being developed through the Water Information R&D Alliance between CSIRO and Bureau of Meteorology
- You can visualise or download spatial landscape water balance estimates from CSIRO's research version of AWRA through this website